Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Today my friend and I went on a Beading Safari


Today my friend and I went on a Beading Safari in the wilds of downtown Toronto. Queen West to be exact. Boy was it a scorcher for 2nd last day in May but we came prepared with sunglasses and hats and cool cottons. We stopped in at Bling Bling at Queen St. W. And Augusta. I found some lovely purples to make up necklaces for my Red Hat Chapter events and some little red and purple bags that were on sale for a quarter. The store was nice and cool and the staff is great and very helpful. Here is their card they have a website
http://www.blingblingonqueen.ca Where they tell you about classes and their in store specials.

Then we went next door to The Beadery
where we checked out there beautiful selection of beads, lovely knitting yarns, and hand dyed ribbons. We found some perfect focal beads one just matching up with the necklace my friend wore for just that purpose. I found a purple one and a cobalt blue. Cobalt blue is one my favourite colours. I spied a French Beaded Flower book, French-Beaded Flowers New Millennium Collection by Dalene Kelly I just joined a group for beaded flowers and wanted some patterns to get started. From a quick look tonight it has so many of my favourite flowers. I can't wait to get started. We also browsed their bargain bins at the front of the store and I found some lovely stuff one being some pins for attatching charms, beads or chains, etc.

The Beadery also has a website
http://www.thebeardery.ca They have lots of pics that have appeared in the media. Lots of tutorials to browse through and download as pfds.

We got tired and crossed the road and went in for an iced coffee at the Second Cup and talked about our purchases and enjoyed our coffees and a snack. My husband(chauffeur he says) I treated to an iced coffee and a snack for driving us down and back. While he enjoyed his coffee and a snack we went on to Artons one and two. We got lovely watch faces to make watches with beads. I have wanted to make a torsade necklace and found a lovely floral clasp for it. At Arton One I got some fish beads for a long time in finishing project. I love their prices and selection. I have been there so often they think I have a tax number but sadly I don't.

I took a quick look to Abelard Bookshop next door to Artons to see if they had a Brother's Grim fairy tale book but they didn't. I would love to alter one as an alterbook art piece. Just saw the movie and it was like a fairy tale the Brother Grimm the title very scary. After that we went back to Bling Blings to get some fancy silver head pins and some beads for crimps. We went back to the Second Cup. My husband, friend and I were happy to get into our a/c car and drive home.

I wanted to include the business cards for these stores because they are very nice and have given me so many hours of fun both at their stores and at home doing my projects or reading a book. I have no affiliations with them I just like them.

No comments: